Its been a while since I updated, but we are home from the hospital and doing fine. Matthew is growing and nursing well, and no longer jaundiced. He is still adorable (luckily that didn't change over the last couple of weeks), and is awake a little more every day. He's a keeper.
Nathan's still not sure whether to love the baby, or hate him, but he's coming around. He is a big help with getting diapers for the baby, and seems to like a little responsibility. He had an audiology app't last week, where we were told that he cannot hear any low tones, and only most of the high tones. They said that he has fluid in his ears, so they will drain it, and hopefully that will solve the double problem of not hearing and not speaking (I guess triple problem if you include the constant screaming. You know how when you have earphones on and you talk way too loud because you think no one can hear you? Yeah, its kinda like that). We are very anxious to see what happens.
Next comes Rachel. She's fine. She did say a couple of really funny things lately. One was when my mom was here, and she was giving Rachel a bath. She got her hair all soapy and white and turned to Grandma and said "Look Gramma, I'm John McCain's wife." So cute! Then the other day Steve was trying to explain where electricity came from, and how it worked. He started by explaining how a dam was like mashed potatoes and how the gravy was water on top. The water on a dam trickles out slowly, and turns some wheels, which creates electricity, just like a windmill. Rachel sat and listened carefully, and at the end said "But Dad, how do we know when the wheels are turning in our mashed potatoes?" Priceless.
Next comes Shaun. He was started on medication last week for what our Dr decided was ADHD. He seems to be doing a bit better, but they started him out on the very lowest dose, and then working up from there. One thing that we hate about this med is he can't fall asleep at night. He usually goes to sleep the minute his head touches the pillow at 7:30, but now its like 10:00 before he finally falls asleep. Last night he didn't fall asleep until midnight. AAAHHHHH!!! Its really annoying for all of us. He is doing a little better in school, though, and seems to be happier and easier to reason with, so I think we're on the right track.
Thursday, November 20, 2008
Health Check
Posted by Katie and Steve at 9:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
All good news Kate, it's so fun to catch up with your family. Mary Pratt/Smith has a boy that had hearing and speech problems, did the ear tube thing, and he's much better! He's also going to a special speech preschool type class and that's helping a lot too, just thought I'd pass on an encouraging experience!
Wow, Katie...so much going on with your family. I am glad you are back to blogging a little. It is fun to catch up. Ella and Tanner were just talking about Rachel and Shaun yesterday.
Can't wait to catch up with you tomorrow! We need to do a weekly lunch during the winter! Hope all continues well, and hope you are getting the sleep you need. I know I'm not!
I agree with kenna- wow, katie! you have so much going on. Here I am second guessing my decision to have number two! I can't imagine four! you are a great great woman and mother. I really would like to make the trek up to see you guys sometime soon!- I think we may be driving someone to the airport soon- I'll have to call and see if you guys are around!
Post a Comment